Saturday 30 May 2015

Lucas' Papaw Ointment Review

If you ever come to Australia and buy one thing... this should be it! Lucas' famous Papaw Ointment. 

I've been using it for years and have gone through countless tubes (okay, maybe countless was a bit of an exaggeration). Seven big 25g tubes and one of the small 15g tube. I love more than the Nivea lipbalms (and I've gone through quite a few of them), I love more than Blistex (though Blistex Lip Conditioner is pretty good), and of course, I love it more than the traditional Chapstick.

I spotted this at Watson's in Hong Kong for at least double, if not triple the price. Luckily, my mum purchased quite a few tubes to give to our relatives as souvenirs. 

Contains: Carica papaya 39mg/g fresh fermented fruit. (On the back) Potassium Sorbate 0.1 mg/g as preservative. Store below 30°C.


Description: A local topical application for boils, burns, chafing, cuts, cracked skin, gravel rash, splinters, open wounds, insect bites and nappy rash.

Size: Available in 15g (tube with applicator), 25g (traditional tube), 75g (tub size), 200g (tub size).

Price: RRP for the 25g tube is $5.99AUD.


My Thoughts

It's a multi-functional wonder product, though I mostly use it for my lips. It solves all problems. I haven't had cracked or bleeding lips for years due to this beauty. It's literally a sleeping pack for your lips. It locks in moisture, is antibacterial, and all that other good stuff. When my eczema on my legs or my neck acts up, I slather this ointment on it. When I have a pimple or a sore, papaw is what I reach for.

It has this really satisfying thick, balm consistency and is a light yellow colour. It will definitely melt if it gets too hot, but it will solidify back to it's original consistency when the weather cools down again. I usually finish a tube once every five or so months. It has a pleasant, fruity smell.


Some of the tubes I've used. They have both since been cut up and emptied. Note: the 25g packaging has changed a little bit in that it is sealed with a metal seal rather than the plastic twist function you need the back of the cap to get off. The nozzle in the new packaging is also a tiny bit smaller.

My favourite size is the 25g. It is very handy to carry around, and the hole is big enough for you to apply a little bit of pressure to get the right amount out. The only downside is that it can get a little messy because you inevitably have to get your hands dirty. 

The 15g tube on the other hand is designed for lip application. I didn't like this design because I found it extremely difficult to squeeze out the contents onto my lips. It took too much effort to get a tiny bit out. 

I have no opinion on the 75g tub. My dad uses it for his eczema too, but it is on his study desk. I think this is a good size to use at home, or to leave on your desk, but it is not very convenient.

/ 5


6 out of 5 stars. I love this and will keep on repurchasing it. I currently have five tubes as back up because Coles had a half price sale a few weeks ago. My mum spent three days going to various Coles to hunt down the last five pack. Thanks mum!

TL;DR: Love, love, love. Best lip balm ever. I'm not even tempted to try EOS, Carmax, Smith's Rosebud Salve, or Baby Lips. I'm sticking to this for life.


Pro tip: As with all tubes, don't chuck your tube away when you can't squeeze anymore out. Instead, cut it in half and keep on using it. There's lots of ointment on the sides and on top of the circular lid part.

...By the way, I've always called this stuff 'pawpaw', not 'papaw'. Anyone else?

No comments :

Post a Comment